Play Fantasy The Most Award Winning Fantasy game with real time scoring, top expert analysis, custom settings, and more. Play Now
 
Tag:Scott Speed
Posted on: January 1, 2012 2:00 pm
 

Scott Speed settles Red Bull lawsuit

Posted by Pete Pistone

Scott Speed has settled his lawsuit with Red Bull Racing over his firing that followed the 2010 season according to Scene Daily.com

Speed had field a lawsuit in North Carolina Superior Court in Statesville, N.C., in December 2010. He asked that Red Bull Racing pay him $6.5 million for the salary he would have received from 2011-2013 in addition to a $500,000 reduction of his 2010 salary that he accepted in January 2010. According to court documents, the two sides met Nov. 30 in a settlement conference where they came to an agreement on all issues. Speed filed the dismissal documents Dec. 19. No terms of the settlement were disclosed.

 
More NASCAR coverage
Category: Auto Racing
Posted on: December 13, 2011 4:11 pm
 

Scott Speed finds new NASCAR home

Posted by Pete Pistone

From News Release

CONCORD, N.C. (December 13, 2011) - Scott Speed has joined Leavine Family Racing (LFR) for a limited 15-race NASCAR Sprint Cup Series schedule for 2012 in the No. 95 Ford. 

A veteran of all three of NASCAR's premier national touring series, Speed joins Leavine Family Racing after making 13 Sprint Cup starts with Whitney Motorsports' in the No. 46 Ford. 

Speed will be competing in his fifth Sprint Cup Series season. The California native competed full-time with Red Bull Racing in 2010; earning two top-10 finishes and leading 21 laps. 

"We are pleased to have Scott Speed join our team," team owner Bob Leavine said. "We, as a team, want to give Scott the equipment and the resources he needs to win - and that is what I believe he will do for us in return." 

"Scott is a proven driver. He was the first American to race in Formula One since Michael Andretti and has a lot to offer our program as a teammate and a competitor." 

Speed has made 18 starts in the Nationwide Series and 16 starts in the Camping World Truck Series over the past four years. He posted a truck series win at the Dover International Speedway in 2008. His best Nationwide Series finish came on the road course at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve last year where he placed sixth. Speed earned career first pole in the series in 2009. 

Speed began his racing career in Karting at the age of 10. Making his way through the open-wheel racing ranks throughout the West Coast, he made his Formula One debut in 2001. From there he has successfully competed in Formula One making 28 career starts before making the transition to stock-car racing in 2007 with the ARCA Racing Series. 

The 28-year-old driver is thrilled to have the opportunity to compete with Leavine Family Racing.

"I am excited to team up with Bob Leavine and his guys at Leavine Family Racing," Speed said. They have a solid group of guys working on the team and I think it will be a real fun deal. Our goal is to build this race team to become competitive. We know it will be baby steps, but we are all excited to get it rolling."


 

More NASCAR coverage
Category: Auto Racing
Posted on: August 22, 2011 1:03 pm
 

Scott Speed joins Whitney Motorsports

Posted by Brian De Los Santos

It's been a trying season for Scott Speed, who has struggled to land a full-time ride since his release by Red Bull at the end of last year.

Speed, who has competed in just three Cup races this season (all start and parks for Max Q Motorsports) now has a deal with Whitney Motorsports that should run through the remainder of the season.

There will likely be some more start and parks in his future, but the team has lined up sponsorship on its No. 46 for races at Atlanta and Kansas and is looking for more.

JJ Yeley has competed in 15 races in the 46 car this season and was forced to start and park each time.

Press release:

CHARLOTTE, NC (August 22, 2011) – Scott Speed has signed on with Whitney Motorsports to run the rest of the 2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (NSCS) races in the No. 46 Ford Fusion.

Speed has recently been driving the No. 37 Ford Fusion and has qualified for all three NSCS races that he has attempted. Speed also just came off of a sixth place finish for Kevin Harvick Inc. this past weekend in the NASCAR Nationwide Series race in Montreal.

The No. 46 Ford Fusion, with the FR9 Roush Yates engines, owned by Dusty Whitney, plans to run the remainder of the races this season in the NSCS starting at Bristol Motor Speedway this weekend.

“I really like Dusty and his guys,” said Speed. “They work really hard with the little amount that they have. There is a lot of passion over here and I love how tight of a group we are, we are the underdogs and I love it.”

Speed has 79 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series starts, with one top-five and three top-10s, nine top-10s in 14 starts in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, and one win, four top-fives and nine top-10s in 16 starts in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.

“Scott has shown us what a tremendous asset he is,” said Dusty Whitney, owner of Whitney Motorsports. “We are extremely excited about having him drive our car. He is a great guy with an amazing talent. We hope to make our mark before the season is over.”

“We have sponsors lined up for Atlanta and Kansas, and are on the prowl for the other races. I feel that Scott and this team have a lot to offer anyone that wants to get into the sport of NASCAR.”

The No. 46 Ford Fusion sits outside the top-35 in the NSCS Owners Points, therefore Scott Speed will have to qualify the car at each race.


More NASCAR coverage
Category: Auto Racing
Tags: Scott Speed
 
Posted on: May 6, 2011 11:38 am
Edited on: May 6, 2011 4:19 pm
 

Speed will try to qualify for Indy 500

Posted by Brian De Los Santos

Scott Speed
, who lost his ride with Red Bull Racing after the 2010 season, has finally landed a new gig -- albeit temporarily.

Speed will attempt to make the Indianapolis 500 for the first time driving for Dragon Racing. He has also signed up to drive in the IndyCar Series finale at Las Vegas in October, where he'll reportedly be eligible for a $5 million bonus offered to any driver from another series who wins the race.

Dragon Racing is owned by Jay Penske, son of 15-time-winning Indianapolis 500 car owner Roger Penske.

Speed was trained in the open-wheel ranks, but has never raced in the IndyCar Series. In 2006, at the age of 23, he found his way to Formula 1, becoming the first American to race in F1 since Michael Andretti in 1993. But he failed to enjoy any success in the series and after 1 1/2 seasons, he lost his ride with Toro Rosso.

But while he was dumped from F1, he remained in the Red Bull family, as the organization tried to groom him for its NASCAR program. After less than a season of training in the Truck Series in 2008, he joined the Cup ranks full-time in 2009. But while many thought he had the personality to be a star, his progress on the track was a bit too slow for Red Bull's liking. In 76 starts, he had just three top 10s, with an average finish of 24th.

Speed filed a $6.5 million lawsuit against Red Bull for wrongful dismissal in December and was granted a continuation in March. In the lawsuit, Speed claimed that Red Bull did not fund the team as necessary to compete at the Cup level nor did it put forth the required technological resources for him to have a competitive car.

“I’m obviously stupid disappointed that I didn’t even get a phone call, not a conversation, not anything from anyone from Austria," Speed told scenedaily.com in December . "They all showed up at Miami. None of them spoke a word to me. I got a fax.”

“They thought it was OK to kick me to the curb and not try to do absolutely anything for me. They didn’t want to pay me anything. They didn’t want to help me get into any other kind of ride. Nothing. They were, ‘OK, we’re done with you. Thank you for seven-and-a-half years.’"

More NASCAR coverage


Category: Auto Racing
Tags: Scott Speed
 
Posted on: March 22, 2011 12:07 pm
Edited on: March 22, 2011 12:08 pm
 

Speed's lawsuit against Red Bull continues

Posted by Pete Pistone

Scenedaily.com is reporting former Team Red Bull driver Scott Speed has been granted a continuation of oh his lawsuit against the team for being released from his contract at the end of the 2010 season.

From Scene Daily.com
A North Carolina judge has allowed Scott Speed to proceed with his $6.5 million lawsuit against Red Bull Racing as she denied the race team's request to make a judgment based solely on what each side has presented in court without any investigation into Speed's claims. Judge Sharon Barrett's ruling came after a 35-minute hearing Monday in North Carolina Superior Court. She denied Red Bull's argument that it could release Speed for not meeting the performance clause in his contract that states if he didn't finish 15th in NASCAR's Sprint Cup Series standings he could be fired. Speed filed the lawsuit Dec. 10 after he was fired by the team following his second season in Cup. In the lawsuit, Speed claimed that Red Bull did not fund the team as necessary to compete at the Cup level nor did it put forth the required technological resources for him to have a competitive car.

 

More NASCAR coverage
Category: Auto Racing
Posted on: December 8, 2010 3:19 pm
 

Speed upset with Red Bull, says lawsuit imminent


Scott Speed announced via Twitter that a lawsuit against Red Bull was imminent.

"today should be the day my lawyer files this lawsuit against Red Bull...Had to tell my loyal twitter followers before they saw it online ;)," Speed wrote.

Speed told scenedaily.com
he understood the decision but was upset with how his release came down -- via fax the day before Thanksgiving. That same day his mother was diagnosed with cancer.

“I’m obviously stupid disappointed that I didn’t even get a phone call, not a conversation, not anything from anyone from Austria.They all showed up at Miami. None of them spoke a word to me. I got a fax.”

“They thought it was OK to kick me to the curb and not try to do absolutely anything for me. They didn’t want to pay me anything. They didn’t want to help me get into any other kind of ride. Nothing. They were, ‘OK, we’re done with you. Thank you for seven-and-a-half years.’

“Honestly, I’m still a little bit shocked over the whole situation.”

READ THE FULL STORY

Speed, 27, had a short stint in the Formula 1 ranks for Red Bull before making the jump to NASCAR in 2008. He managed a win, four top fives and nine top 10s in 16 Truck starts in 2008, but has been slow to progress in Cup cars with just three top 10s in 76 career starts. He finished 30th in the rankings in 2010 and has a career average finish of 25.1.

Posted on: December 1, 2010 4:35 pm
 

Speed officially a free agent

Scott Speed announced through his Twitter account that he received a termination letter from Red Bull Racing on Nov. 24.

The news isn't a big shocker as it was suspected with the addition of Kasey Kahne -- if only for one season -- and the return of Brian Vickers from health issues that Speed would be the odd man out with Red Bull unlikely to expand.

Speed, 27, had a short stint in the Formula 1 ranks for Red Bull before making the jump to NASCAR in 2008. He managed a win, four top fives and nine top 10s in 16 Truck starts in 2008, but has been slow to progress in Cup cars with just three top 10s in 76 career starts. He finished 30th in the rankings in 2010 and has a career average finish of 25.1.
Posted on: October 22, 2010 9:00 am
Edited on: October 22, 2010 9:02 am
 

Reports: Speed won't be back at Red Bull in 2011

According to multiple reports, Scott Speed will not return to Red Bull in 2011, keeping the organization at two teams with the expected return of Brian Vickers and the addition of Kasey Kahne next season.

Speed has made 71 starts in the Sprint Cup Series with just three top 10s. He has shown some improvement in his second full season -- he has just 2 DNFs this year vs. 8 DNFs in 2009 and ranks 28th after finishing 35th last season -- but apparently not enough for Red Bull to believe he's got it in him to take a significant leap forward.

Kahne will make his first start at Red Bull this weekend at Martinsville, after gaining his release from Richard Petty Motorsports on Wednesday. He'll drive the No. 83 car the remainder of the season, but give it back up to Vickers, who has been out since May because of blood clots.

Next year, Vickers should be back in the No. 83, but Kahne will not be in the No. 82. According to the Associated Press, Kahne will drive a car with the No. 4, which is the number Kahne uses on his sprint cars.

Crew chief Kenny Francis will join Kahne at Red Bull next year, but it's expected he'll remain with RPM through the remainder of the season.

In related news, Marcos Ambrose , who is scheduled to take Kahne's spot at RPM next year, is not expected to get a head start on that relationship as JTG Daugherty co-owner Tad Geschickter told The Sporting News that sponsor and promotional obligations are preventing his relase.

But with the reported financial issues dogging RPM, it might not be in Ambrose's best interests to run over there at the moment.

-- Brian De Los Santos


 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com